VR streaming over NDN
Special features of VR streaming:
- viewpoint-based dynamic stream: for optimization, to save bandwidth at the cost of stream switch delay. switch delay very critical.
- more bandwidth due to large FoV covered by VR video
- less latency to create immersive VR experience and at least avoid illness human reaction, such as headache, eye pain
- how does NDN benefit dynamic stream
- difficulties: GoP
- naming to distinguish viewpoint, GoP, frame, version and segment.
- how to re-use cached data
- how to re-use base frame
- how to render the focus frame
- change the flows to two parts, base frame and focus frame, decode two frames and render them together.
- Decoding two frames for one rendering slows down the frame rate, esp. for smart phones.
- frame sync is a must
- re-use cache of base stream for play and replay even there is viewpoint-change
- encode base area and focus area in one frame: