Education & Career
- 2018.10 – , currently I am working for Sensetime, whose ambition is to lead AI innovation to power the future, very recently.Now I am working on building a large-scale intelligent video processing platform.
- 2016.5 – 2018.10 , Senior Engineer, Kandao Technology Co. Ltd, which focuses on virtual reality technology research and development, providing patented end-to-end solutions for virtual reality video capturing and live streaming. It is the only Chinese company capable of live streaming 3D high resolution panoramic video up to now. I’m Outstanding Employee of Kandao. The works I involved include:
- VR Streaming: VR video encoding, streaming and playing. Sys&CDN opt
- Image Quality Optimization: ISP tuning, HDR, depth estimation, refocus rendering, sharpness measuring, etc.
- Deep Learning Applications: 3D scene reconstruction based on single image, style transfer, deep debluring, etc.
- 2010.9 – 2016.7, Ph.D. Degree, Department of Computer Science and Technolgoy, Tsinghua University. GPA: 90.9/100. Honor Graduate of CS Department, Superviser: Jun Bi. Ph.D. thesis: Research on the Key Issues of Usability of Named Data Networking
- 2014.7 – 2015.7, Visiting Graduate Researcher, Department of Computer Science, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Superviser: Lixia Zhang
- 2011.9 – 2012.7, Tsinghua-Berkeley Global Technology Entrepreneurship Program (GTE), Tsinghua & Berkeley. Tech Lead of Outstanding Team
- 2006.8 – 2010.7, B.S. Degree, School of Software, Tsinghua University. GPA Rank 12/65. Bachelor thesis: Research on the Evolution of IPv6: Address Allocation and Routing
- I play badminton twice a week from Oct 2016. I did not intend to be professional athlete, but I do enjoy the time that sweat souses me all over. I feel very relaxed when I am in playground after long-time work. Also badminton is a good way to keep healthy.
- I also do plank, push-up in order to get rid of belly.
- reading novels
- kongfu novels written by Yong Jin, Long Gu. Also the online novels.
- doing research
- knowledge makes me high. I’m that kind of guy who enjoy knowledge and learning.
- programming allows me to realize my crazy/interesting ideas.
- alcohol (but not abuse of it)
- First of all, I am not abuse of alcohol. I drink one or two times per week on average, with proper amount.
- What I love most of drinking is exchanging our minds/experiences with friends under the help of alcohol. As an engineer, alcohol allows us to express ourselves in a bolder way.
My name is Xiaoke JIANG (蒋小可), but I name myself Shock since my given name sounds like ‘shock’. Moreover, Shock is also easier to be remembered.
I was born in a small town named Huangmei, Huanggang, Hubei Province(湖北省黄冈市黄梅县). My hometown has a 1400-year history, and is famous as dojo of Chinese Zen Buddhism. Monk Hui-neng (惠能和尚) wrote the famous zen poetry there:
菩提本无树， Bodhi is fundamentally without any tree;
明镜亦非台。 The bright mirror is also not a stand.
本来无一物， Fundamentally there is not a single thing,
何处惹尘埃。 Where could any dust be attracted?
This poetry helped Hui-neng beat his competitor, and won the his master’s approval of being the leader of 6th generation of Chinese Zen Buddhism.
I left my hometown to Tsinghua University as undergraduate in 2006. I then fell in love with computer network from 2007. So I took part in SRT (student research trainning) on network security, esp. security of IPv6. IPv6 is the upgrade version of current IPv4 given the IPv4 address is out of stock. So IPv6 uses 128 bits for address, which means the name space is up to 2^128 in theory. It is said that, every sand in the earth can own a address in IPv6. IPv6 provides much larger IP space and meets the need of needs of some emerging technologies, such as IoT (Internet of Thing), vehicle network. I graduated in 2010, and my graduation thesis is entitled “Research on the Evolution of IPv6: Address Allocation and Routing”, in which I surveyed on the global IPv6 routing table, address allocation, and AS-level topology. According to my research, I found that IPv6’s deployment is quite limited since IPv6 is not compatible with IPv4. Also, the architecture of IPv6 lacks of innovation.
I continued studying at Tsinghua University for my Ph.D from Sep, 2010 under the supervision of Prof. Jun BI. I found a promising networking architecture very soon, that is Named Data Networking (NDN). NDN is a data-centric design (v.s. Host-centric design such as IPv4/IPv6) where data rather than host becomes the first-class citizen in the network. Data is named and secured independent from its container. Therefore, data can be placed at and fetched from anywhere, allowing built-in support for in-network caching and multiple data sources. I went to UCLA as research scholar between July 2014 and July 2015 under the guidance of Prof. Lixia Zhang. Lixia is the PI of NDN project. My Ph.D thesis is entitled “Research on the Key Issues of Usability of Named Data Networking”, where I put forward a NDN-enhanced CDN design over current Internet infrastructure. I also built DNS for NDN to address the operational issues of NDN, including mobility, routing scalability, and data validation in my thesis.
After I received my Ph.D in 2016, I started working as senior engineer at a startup in Shenzhen, Kandao Tech. This is a brave step for me. Kandao Tech amis to provide best VR video capturing, processing and playing solution/product. Now I am working on VR video encoding, streaming, together with backend servers operations. VR video streaming is to provide a advancing service on top of traditional techniques and infrastructure, which is challenging and exciting. Besides computer network problems, I also learn computer vision and deep learning in my part time.
to be continued
draft for now, any feedback is welcome: email@example.com